Names and stones

Posted on July 24, 2010

0



Set amongst green rolling hills, with few villages and farms sprinkled along curving roads a new Holocaust memorial was opened. In 1942 a subcamp of concentration camp Stutthof had been set up amongst the Swabian village to build a military airstrip. At least 186 people died during it’s existence. Just recently a memorial was build at the site of the (no longer existing) airstrip. Local dignitaries were invited to the opening, including a politician of the extreme right-wing NPD (National Party Germany). His invitation was canceled soon after, but he still threatened to attend the opening ceremonies.

Advertisements
Posted in: photos, travels